Artist Calls, Workshops and Field Trips
Artists, please login an update your profiles! Calls for art are here.
We have and An SOS Spring Field Trip in April, see Artist News below for details.
Workshops! Register for one or both of the Somerville Arts Council’s Workshops in April, on Digital presence , and Art Sales.
Consider volunteering (email email@example.com). Attend a planning meeing! If you can help fill map stands
or can put up posters let us know by filling out the volunteer survey!
- Call for Art: 2023 First Look ExhibitThursday, April 13 – Saturday, May 13 Somerville Museum • 1 Westwood Road. This show is open to all 2023 SOS registered artists. We strongly recommend participating in this non-juried group show – many studio visitors plan their trip based on what they see here. Click Header for more information.
- Call for Art: 2023 Locavore Show – Good Enough to Eat!Locavore shows are returning to SOS in 2023! This year’s theme is Good Enough to Eat! The focus of this Locavore show, to be held at Neighborhood Produce, 691 Broadway in Ball Square, is on groceries and provision of food. This includes portrayal of the food itself, as well as food insecurity, sourcing food, shopping or providing food. Submissions may be literal or symbolic, representational or abstract, painted, drawn, sculpted, photographic or multi-media. The show will be on display from April 29 to May 14, 2023. Submission deadline is Noon on April 10 2023. (Click title for more info)
- Call for Art: 2023 Inside-Out Gallery ShowSomerville Open Studios, the Somerville Arts Council, and the Inside-OUT Gallery (the Davis Square CVS display windows) once again welcome seasoned members and newcomers alike to submit pieces for the annual SOS members’ exhibit. While all works will be considered, we do encourage applicants to respond to this year’s theme. Submission deadline is March 30. (Click title for more info)
- Call for Art: 2023 Volunteer Small Works ShowDid you volunteer for SOS? Then you can submit to the Volunteer Show. The SOS 2023 Volunteer Show will be a Small Works exhibit, where your work illustrates the idea that a piece of art may be small in scale, but compelling in impact! Submission deadline is NOON on March 30, 2023. All SOS members who have volunteered within the last three years are invited to submit a piece for this exhibit. All mediums will be considered, but the dimensions may not exceed 10”x10”. (Click title for more info)
- March Planning MeetingRegistration is closed, It’s getting warmer. What’s left to do, you ask? We have publicity to work out, maps to distribute, trolley routes to plan, Fashion Show to put on. That seems like a lot of work. How can I help? Attend the next SOS Planning Meeting to learn more! Thursday, March 23, 2023 • 6:30-8:30pm at Joy Street Studios, 86 Joy Street #6 (Dan Coughlin’s studio) RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org
- SAC’s Artists’ Toolkit Series: What’s Your Story? Enhancing Your Digital PresenceSomerville Museum Tuesday, April 4 • 5-7 2023. An in-depth presentation that will demystify the many facets of the marketing process. Featuring panelists Dave Ortega and Christina Balch. (Click Header for information and registration information)
- SAC’s Artists’ Toolkit Series: The Price is Right, The Art of the SaleSomerville Museum Tuesday, April 18 • 5-7 2023. How should I price my work? As artists, this can be an all-too familiar phrase and cyclical scenario. In this panel discussion, studio director and gallery professionals, Lynn Gervens (MudFlat Pottery Studio) and Marie Craig (Fountain Gallery), will define best industry practices, answer frequently asked questions about the selling process. (Click Header for information and registration information)
- An SOS Spring Field TripMartha Friend’s House of Found Objects Sunday, April 2 • 12 – 4pm. Experience this unique Somerville home bursting with unique and quirky art surrounding the house with an endearing ephemeral grace (click header for more info)