Volunteer Opportunities – Somerville Open Studios 2024
Somerville Open Studios happens each year because of the efforts of a group of talented and dedicated volunteers. Won’t you consider joining us? There are committee opportunities available for people with a variety of skills and interests. See the planning committee descriptions below for a better idea about what we do. Volunteer roles are flexible based on time availability and experience.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or come to a monthly planning meeting to learn how you can help!
SOS planning committees
There are many different ways to help make Somerville Open Studios happen. It’s a great way to apply your prior experience or to learn new skills. Below is a sampling of potential committee assignments and volunteer roles. Committees are self organizing to promote sharing and collaboration.
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR & VOLUNTEER RELATIONS
- Build volunteer pools
- Match volunteers with team leads/tasks and be in regular contact with team leads
- Ensure that volunteers are communicated with in an efficient manner
- Ensure that volunteers are followed up with after helping out
- Research and implement option for easy online volunteer sign-up
BUSINESS & CORPORATE RELATIONS
- Oversee Sponsorship timeline
- Solicit Sponsorship
- Donations/trades (food, other resources)
- Collaborating with “extension space” to think about new group spaces that can take place in
local businesses (ex. WorkBar.)
- Find volunteers, manage times (art drop off etc.) and submit graphic and permit needs
- First Look Exhibit
- Volunteer Show
- Inside Out Gallery
- These shows are still TBD: Kid’s Show, Fashion Show, Localvore Exhibit
- Design trolley route – incorporating any construction and route changes.
- Work with Somerville Parking along with timeline Manager.
- Reserve trolleys (3 handicap) and work out contract with the Trolley Company.
- Organize the install and breakdown of trolley stop signs.
PROMOTIONS (Social Media)
- Construct and implement a timeline of overall promotion on various social media platforms.
- Connect with the Graphics Lead to ensure consistency (Facebook, etc.)
- Create and/or collect content (articles, interviews, artist tips, visitor tips) to be posted on a
new “content” section of the SOS website.
- Strategically place articles into social media, which would then link readers back to the SOS
web site. Example: Create an article offering tips on navigating SOS weekend with children and
place in local “parent” FB groups.
PROMOTIONS (Traditional Media)
- Implementing an existing media strategy and timeline. SOS ad placement in local business
- web/ print/radio
- Generation and placement of articles and listings in newspapers and news sites to promote
- Seek/create opportunities to use the press to feature SOS in other ways throughout the year
such as artist profiles or artist solo shows, etc.
ARTIST-RELATIONS & MEMBERSHIP
- Approve and reply to new member registrations
- Answer questions regarding membership
- Studio buildings, home studio and individual artist liaisons
- Get insurance and table rentals
- Organize participating artists
- Assign spaces and work on layout
- Work with registration to signup members and maintain membership rolls online.
- Make Artist’s profiles and maps available online via website.
- Work with Sponsorship to make sponsors available on website.
- Integrating with social media.
MAP BOOK CONTENT
- Coordinates content with other committees
- Artist Data formatting for import, proofing
- Work with webmaster to assign map numbers
- Submit final text and data to graphics Designer
GRAPHICS LOGO/DESIGN MAP/POSTER
- Ensure consistency in all design/graphics
- Poster/Map Book/Flyers/Postcards
- Graphics offered to artists online
- Graphics used in social or traditional media
- Graphics displayed on the SOS web site
MAP BOOK/POSTER DISTRIBUTION
- Poster/postcard/map placement in local businesses and companies in Somerville and beyond
- Map book/Poster distribution to artists, volunteers and businesses
- Distribution beyond city of Somerville
Consider supporting us with your charitable donation. Somerville Open Studios is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded to connect artists with the Somerville community through our annual open studios and other events. We are volunteer run and rely on the financial support of both artists and art-lovers alike. Your donation to Somerville Open Studios is tax deductible to the extent provided by law.
Sponsorship Opportunities – Somerville Open Studios 2023
Many thanks to our 2023 sponsors, who can be found on our home page. SOS is enormously grateful for their support!
If you would like to consider being an SOS partner in the future, please contact email@example.com and we will be in touch for next year.
We are thrilled to welcome more than 350 artists participating this year, rebounding to our pre-pandemic participation levels on the weekend. With the new Green Line extension, we anticipate many returning and new attendees. As an independent non-profit organization, we remain one of the few Open Studios run entirely by volunteer-artists. As such, sponsoring partners play a critical role in the success of SOS, helping us cover costs ranging from securing venues to transporting visitors to studios throughout the weekend.
Sponsors will be featured in all SOS printed visitor maps, encouraging attendees to support your business as they travel among studios and building affinity for your brand as a supporter of the arts and of the Somerville community.
SOS Gold Partner – $800
- gold star showing your location on printed visitor maps (15,000+ distributed)
- small logo on placards displayed at the entrance to key SOS event locations
- gold star window decal for your business, showing your support for SOS
- small logo year-round on the homepage of our website, www.somervilleopenstudios.org
SOS Silver Partner – $250
- small logo year-round on home page of our website, www.somervilleopenstudios.org
- silver star window decal for you business, showing your support for SOS
If you would like to consider a higher level of support with increased visibility for your organization, we’re glad to talk about other options that work best for you.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in partnering and if you have any additional questions.