Participate in Somerville Open Studios
ATTN SOS ALUMNI:
We want to welcome you back if you have participated in Somerville Open Studios in the past. As you may know, SOS is celebrating its 20th Anniversary this year. To mark this anniversary, we decided that one of the themes is "Homecoming," and we would like to we would like to welcome you back to participate, even if you have left Somerville or no longer have a studio here. We want to honor alumni of SOS and give you a chance to come home, enjoy the events, and participate. This will be available only for SOS 2018, and will not happen again next year. We are very excited to see you all again.
There are various ways to join the fun during our 2018 Open Studios.
We have a number of shows/activities featuring SOS members and volunteers.
- First Look Show at the Somerville Museum: Open to all SOS members who submit one piece of their choice.
- The Volunteer Show at the Diesel Cafe: If you have volunteered anytime with SOS you are welcome to submit work to this show.
- Beyond the Pattern Fashion Show: If you are a fashion designer, fiber artist or wearable art artist you are encouraged to participate on the runway.
And two shows in the works:
- Cracked: The Nut Show at Q's Nuts: Open to all SOS members as long as it reflects the concept of "nuts".
- 20X20 in 20: An art challenge event and art sale at Mad Oyster Studios
on Saturday, March 31.This event has been postponed and may take place later in the spring.
In addition, you can:
Share memories and experiences of past SOS Events! We will have a historical retrospective in the Inside-OUT Gallery- The windows of the Davis Sq CVS (thank you Heather Balchunas and the SAC!) If you have any of the following to share, we would be most grateful!
- Memories, stories and anecdotes concerning SOS- interesting visitors, crazy studio mates, and deadlines.
- Inspiring stories that affected your art practice.
- Photos and images of the past.
We hope you can join us in any of these events as a member or visitor. If you have any questions about participating as an SOS alum, please email Terry Dovidio (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Matt Kaliner (email@example.com). We are eager to welcome you back!
Become a Volunteer
The simplest way to volunteer, and one of the most helpful to SOS, is to adopt a map stand for the week leading up to our main event. There are map stands all over the city where map books are offered to passers-by. Those stands tend to empty quickly and need to be filled in the morning and evening. It's a simple task to do and helps so much. If you are interested in helping to accomplish this task, please get in touch with our Map Book Distribution Coordinator, Christina Tedesco at firstname.lastname@example.org. She can connect you with map stand locations and slots that are available for adoption.
Volunteering is an excellent way to be connected with the Somerville arts community. You can also get involved in behind-the-scene preparation for Open Studios in some of the following areas: Operations, Fundraising, Graphics, Public Relations, Web Content Management, Short Administrative Tasks, and Miscellaneous Labor and Light Construction, and more.
+ See our Volunteer Form for more information
Join the SOS Mailing List
Members, Update your Profiles
The SOS Artist Directory is open 10 months of the year (closed only during registration period for the new year). Visitors will select which sites to see during SOS, and will be reminded of artists they saw and loved, based on what they see on the website. If you put good images up people will know that they want to see your work.
Login to keep your profile up to date.